The Great Future Of Edge Computing
What Is Edge Computing?
In principle, Edge Computing has a formidable field of application in business and industrial organizations. Internet of Things (IoT) devices collect a large amount of information, but they are limited to sending this data to the cloud, where it is processed to obtain certain information or events are triggered, which does not allow optimization of the speed of transmission.
But this can be improved by using Edge Computing, where information is stored very close to the data source (hence EDGE = edge of the network). Because the processing does not have to happen in the cloud, but locally, it is much faster, using less bandwidth, and reducing latency to a minimum.
If it is not necessary to send all this information to the cloud and it is the devices themselves that are in charge of processing it, allowing organizations to analyze it in real-time, something that is tremendously necessary for specific industries such as telecommunications, finance, or health.
Benefits Of This Technology
As we can see, all this results in benefits that must be taken into account:
- Reduction of broadband costs by not having to upload data to the cloud at all times.
- Lower latency, almost non-existent.
- Greater agility and speed in the user’s decision-making.
- Better security conditions by controlling the privacy of the information. Its storage occurs locally.
- Improvement of the user experience.
Edge Computing Applications
Edge Marketing is going to have a wide diffusion in Information Technology circles :
- Manufacturing industry: Analyze and prevent possible errors in the production chain.
- In Agriculture and livestock: Monitoring in real-time the processes that are carried out.
- In the mining and oil industry: Bringing analytics to the most remote places is one of the main challenges for Edge Computing.
- Video games and multimedia content: Bringing data centers closer to the places where they are being consumed.
- Energy Consumption: Edge-connected IoT devices are used to monitor and correct energy consumption in industries and businesses in real-time.
- Using Edge in autonomous driving and traffic management.
- Apply this technology to healthcare, enabling automated care and immediate responses to incidents.
- For questions related to surveillance and response to possible anomalies, by studying images instantly, detecting any problem that occurs, whether they are natural disasters or terrorist attacks.
Also Read: Mobile Database Technology In Edge Computing